I have the following idea ...

Support iCloud App-Specific Passwords for accounts with 2-factor auth

FullContact presents an error message on iCloud accounts with 2 factor auth, even if an app-specific password has been set up with iCloud. FullContact should use the app-specific password in this instance instead of failing due to unsupported 2-factor auth.

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    eded shared a merged idea: Support 2FA for iCloud  ·   · 
    David GibsonDavid Gibson shared a merged idea: iCloud 2-factor authentication  ·   · 

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help. I cannot log into iCloud for my address book on FullContact using app specific password!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just signed up... I can't even get past "go"....
        Please enable 2FA support or the "app specific" capabilities on MacOS/iOS. Until then... FullContact is for me ... just a nice idea.

• Chris RungeChris Runge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something needs to be done here ASAP. I recently had to disable two-step verification with iCloud in order to enable two-factor authentication (so I could unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch). Yes, somewhat confusingly Apple has two-step verification and two-factor authentication. Regardless, a solution to support both should be adopted.

• Alex CalaraAlex Calara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, the oldest post in this thread is more than a YEAR old? I just got an iPhone 7, and since I had to reverify my existing 2FA across everything, FullContact is broken across *all* of my devices.

• David O.David O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to upgrade my subscription when I realized that this still doesn't work. What's the plan?

• TechnoPhobe01TechnoPhobe01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear FullContact,

My sense is that Apple two-factor authentication is an urgent matter to address. Why?

By not supporting Apple two factor authorisation you are arguably increasing your customer's exposure to security threats. My sense is that this creates an exposure for you to a class action lawsuit. If someone can link the removal of Apple two-factor authentication to the installation of FullContact and subsequent data breach, you may have an expensive problem to solve.

My point is that this should be an issue you want to address quickly. It creates an interesting legal issue in my mind. By not actively supporting a security framework do you become liable for the security breaches enabled?

My point is to highlight your inaction may create a problem for you.

The other question raised by this issue is the strength of your development team and program management staff. Is the team up to this task?

Based on excellent UI work my sense is that this should be well within their capabilities. Please understand I love the product but this lack of security needs to be addressed.

• Ondrej KrajicekOndrej Krajicek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to second this. Turning off/on 2FA is not feasible, not even worth considering due to the reasons the others presented.

• Frequently Asked QuestionsFrequently Asked Questions commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Harte's comments.

Plus another.... If I have 20 apps that use Apple's implementation of 2FA or App Specific Passwords, and I disable 2FA. It means that no only do i need to change passwords on all the Apple devices, but I now have to go into each of these 20 apps and update passwords there too.

That's too painful and why I'd rather not sync iCloud contacts with Full Contact.

My only work around is to use a competitor solution - CircleBack, which allows me to sync my contacts with google, outlook, office 365, etc. Once the contacts are updated in Google, Full Contact gets the updates and keeps everything straight.

I wish there was a way to do this from Full Contact, but it seems like the only other way results in duplicate contacts showing up on my phone (from the On my iPhone list as well as Full Contact).

Supporting App Specific or 2FA from Apple would mean I only need one contact app to rule them all.

Since this is planned, let's hope it's coming out sooner rather than later.

//Shawn

• Harte NielsonHarte Nielson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is becoming a glaring hole in the solution. Given how may services and solutions are connected through my iCloud account and password, I am not comfortable turning off 2FA.

I have followed the "work-around" of disabling/reenabling 2FA, but you have to repeat the process every time you change your iCloud password. This means that I have to go and re-signin to my iPad, work laptop, home laptop, iMac, iPhone, and 4 AppleTVs. This is terrible oversight and terrible user experience.

• Thomas TagueThomas Tague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for iCloud two factor here from a paying user. The lack of this dramatically reduces the value of FC for me. iCloud is one of the last services I'd ever turn off two-factor on - so I'm forced to hack together google <> iCloud sync using other tools. Running multiple sync tools is a recipe for disaster so I now also have to back up my contacts more often.

Cmon guys - this isn't that tough.

• Dennis SchulzDennis Schulz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything new to this?

I will enable 2-factor auth in some time. I have to stop using fullcontact if its not compatible with 2f at this time.

Have a nice day

• Chris MessinaChris Messina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please considering supporting this; compromising security shouldn't be a requirement to use software that I've paid for!

• Roeland van DelzenRoeland van Delzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me this is one of the reasons NOT to use this app. Furthermore, the fact that LinkedIn shut down their API to a large extend makes the value of this app less.
        So I am not sure if I will continue to use this app.

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also love to know when you have 2 factor authentication supported via fullcontact.

thank you!

• Jean GionetJean Gionet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the main reason why I can't use icloud with FC. I'm hoping 2-factor auth support is added soon enough!

• David GibsonDavid Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I attempt to use a generated password that I use when 2-factor authentication is not supported, that doesn't work either. When will I have support for 2-factor authentication with iCloud? Clearly, I'm not downgrading security to try out this tool.

Feedback and Knowledge Base